"Much of the major growth that is coming to the Church in the last days will come because many of the good women of the world (in whom there is often such an inner sense of spirituality) will be drawn to the Church in large numbers. This will happen to the degree that the women of the Church reflect righteousness and articulateness in their lives and to the degree that the women of the Church are seen as distinct and different--in happy ways--from the women of the world... Thus it will be that female exemplars of the Church will be a significant force in both the numerical and spiritual growth of the Church in the last days" President Spencer W. Kimball

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Quite A Few Days To Go

I woke up this morning really tired. I have worked everyday this week save Wednesday and today and am running on E. Sometimes its hard to think of all that I have to do: fitting in activities and obligations into my day, work, study, play, etc., but then I think, "who am I racing against?!?" I have had this problem often where I set such high standards for myself. I mean, of course setting goals is healthy and often recommended but I have the want to do everything and more. Its funny cause the talk from the last General Conference given by Sister Julie B. Beck, Relief Society General President, seems to be nipping at my heels these days. I read it once more this morning, taking away from it this; "A good woman knows that she does not have enough time, energy, or opportunity to take care of all the people or do all the worthy things her heart yearns to do." This here is not an excuse or a dismissal from trying but it is a great insight to the importance of prioritizing.

After having said that, for those who have not been directly included in my preparation let me fill you in on a few things. After submitting my papers back in April I followed that by moving from Provo, UT to my hometown of Lake Forest, CA, a fast move to say the least. This has been such a switch for me. Shortly after arriving home I was met with much opposition, the most taxing being the cancer scare with my brother, Tony. I could not have experienced a bigger miracle than receiving the long waited news of "negative" on his medical scans, after having been told he was going to die!!! The degree of prayer, patience, faith, and heartache experienced during that month of waiting was enough to bring anyone to ends but it was such a testimony builder for sure.

In other events I received my call May 13th, in the midst of my my brother's ordeal. It was a bittersweet moment learning where the Lord would have me serve knowing that there is much work for me to do here at home. At the time there was no telling how much time my brother would have living on this earth and I was often faced with the question "With your brother being so sick, are you still planning on going on your mission?" to which the answer was always yes. May 22 I attended the temple for the first time. There are very few words that can explain an experience like that. It is just an additional tender mercy from the Lord extending His love to those here in this life. Since then I have been successful in attending the temple every week, allowing me to get better acquainted with the work therein. It is such a blessing and learning experience. It is evident why they have missionaries do this work before going forth to do the Lords work.

So now lets talk about literal preparation. This is where I will refer back to the beginning where I said I wish I could do more. Right now I have such great resources to study from. I have made plans to finish the Book of Mormon once more before entering the MTC (ward 90 day youth challenge), study up in Preach My Gospel and read as many of the Great Works as possible. How that's going...well life gets mad busy! Haha, I love the challenge. Im a bit disappointed that I have not been as diligent as before I had a full time job, but hey I do what I can right? I am currently about a third of the way through the Book of Mormon and have been truly studying Chapter 6 of PMG. There is so much amazing information in that book, its no wonder Elder Richard G. Scott sings its praises. I am currently living with the Beckett family in my ward, they are so great in allowing me to stay with them while I prepare to leave. They save all the BYU Devotionals on the TiVo for me which has been super fun to watch and take notes from, among other great uplifting activities they allow me to participate in.

These last few months have been so great yet challenging. I have come to know that in life it is key to have our eyes single to the Lord in all aspects whether preparing for a mission or not. A gentleman in my ward today reminded us of the days of the pioneers where they guided the entire city of Salt Lake based on the positioning of the temple. He then went on to say that this should be our goal in life as well, to guide our lives after the teachings of the Gospel as well as the workings in the temple. I have been tried and tested often throughout this period of my life but it is my knowledge that this is what I am here for. Where much is given much is required. I have been greatly blessed with a growing testimony of the love the Savior has for me. I know that this is the true and living Gospel. I know that Joseph Smith restored the Gospel to this earth, I know that there is a living prophet to guide us to day, even President Thomas S. Monson. I know that the Lord accounts for his missionaries (D&C 84), I know that this will be a great growing experience for me, and I also know that there is no place else I would rather be than New York for the next 18 months. I have been called to an area that is specific for my qualifications and I know that it is a true calling from my Heavenly Father. These things I am sure of.

I love the Lord, I love my family, I love my friends and invite all of you to join me for the next few months as I take this adventure.

3 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you, Ash! Hopefully you can continue witht the blog on the Mission, so we can see what is going on with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It definitely will be updated through emails im sending home :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so moved by you. You are AMAZING in all you do. You are and will be a fantastic missionary. I can imagine all the people in New York waiting for you to share the gospel. You are a light and a blessing to all in your life, and it's an honor to call you my friend. Love ya! xoxo

    ReplyDelete