"Much of the major growth that is coming to the Church in the last days will come because many of the good women of the world (in whom there is often such an inner sense of spirituality) will be drawn to the Church in large numbers. This will happen to the degree that the women of the Church reflect righteousness and articulateness in their lives and to the degree that the women of the Church are seen as distinct and different--in happy ways--from the women of the world... Thus it will be that female exemplars of the Church will be a significant force in both the numerical and spiritual growth of the Church in the last days" President Spencer W. Kimball

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Why The Silence?

Ok, so now that everything is said and done let me just tell you that I had the best week ever!!!! I didn't update anyone last week because I was sure to go against everything we had been told, which was to not let the world know that Elder Bednar would be visiting us! Haha! Yes, Elder Bednar visited with our mission and it was such a great experience. It was such a day of learning, so let me just start spouting off some of the things I learned.
  • Every church meeting should be looked at as a revelatory experience. Before he came we were asked to study his talk "Ask In Faith" which of course is about sincerely asking the Lord in faith knowing that until now everything that we NEEDED has been provided for us and by living righteously we can have a hope, and faith that what we will need in the future will continue to be provided for us when we ask. In addition to that he explained that the questions we have may not always be answered of course right away or on a large scale like hearing a voice, or having a vision. What he counselled us to do was to approach every event that is accompanied by the Spirit with our questions readily available because in this "Revelatory Experience" we can receive answers to our prayers. I have to say that that day definitely proved that for me!
  • Be a good girl. In the talk given by Elder Packer, "20 Mark Note" an experience is shared regarding an elder on his mission. That elder, who turns out to actually be Elder Bednar serving his mission in South Germany at the time, recalled in this story that what he was doing was just being a good boy. He then reminded us that we should continue to just be good boys and good girls because sometimes revelation doesn't come knowingly, but as long as we know that we are doing what is good we will have the support of the Spirit. He also related this to big decisions that we sometimes need to make. We may be left to our own good judgement to make big decisions because the Lord trusts us with our choices.
  • Foundational Knowledge of the Gospel is a must. Being on a mission it is hard not to agree with this, but when I speak with the members and also remember instances when I was not a missionary I would say that this notion is very hard. My schedule now promotes at least an hour of scripture study each day, helping me to build a foundation of gospel principles. Everyday I am faced with people looking to me for answers so my efforts are to be able to provide them with inspired answers that I have built through inspiration and study. This however is something that can only be borrowed. What I know and what I share is only on loan. I am not able to give my testimony to others so for a short moment they feel validated but soon enough will have to find that inspiration for themselves. It absolutely is so amazing to be able to provide that light for others.
These were just some of the things that I left knowing. I am so thankful for this experience. It is rare to counsel with an apostle of God. To know that he is a servant of the Lord and has been called to hold the Keys to the priesthood that provide for us opportunities to make and keep sacred covenants. In his talk "Seek Learning by Faith" he stated that "the soles of their feet were already wet before the water even parted." I am thankful to know that through the action of faith we can see miracles! I just love you all so much and am glad you are sharing these experiences with me. Thank you for everything! Love you love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment