"Much of the major growth that is coming to the Church in the last days will come because many of the good women of the world (in whom there is often such an inner sense of spirituality) will be drawn to the Church in large numbers. This will happen to the degree that the women of the Church reflect righteousness and articulateness in their lives and to the degree that the women of the Church are seen as distinct and different--in happy ways--from the women of the world... Thus it will be that female exemplars of the Church will be a significant force in both the numerical and spiritual growth of the Church in the last days" President Spencer W. Kimball

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Christmas Has Come and Gone

So I cant lie and say that I am glad Christmas is over. That is a huge switch from the usual debate with my roommates over whether we should wait til the new year to take down the Christmas decorations where my answer woiuld always be "No! Take them down". New feelings of Christmas have evolved these last couple of years. I am just thankful for the opportunities I have had to spend Christmas away and say that it genuinely was a Spiritual Christmas this year.
It was amazing getting up early on Christmas and not running to a Christmas tree to retreive presents. As we got ready to head to Scarsdale for the morning holiday activities I couldn't help but wonder how Christmas was suiting everyone in California and Utah. It was the first time I could say that I really missed everything about being home but not to the point that I was sad or wanting to be there. I think it was more missing the opportunity to share with my family and friends that love that I was experiencing as a missionary in this season. It is unlike any other I tell you and it is a feeling I wish I could have everyone feel at least once in their life.
Getting on the subway, dressed and ready to go, singing carols to everyone who had nothing but distress on their faces as they either recovered from a long night of work or were heading out of town to be with their families was the greatest gift of the Spirit we could bring as we too were overly anxious to spend time with each other and get to calling our families later in the night. There was a blend of missionaries who some were spending Christmas number 2 on the mish as well as others like myself who didn't know what to "do with their hands" as we threw them up exclaiming "So this is Christmas!" It was a great time! We had a devotional in the chapel, each zone providing their own musical number; Manhattan North, my zone, sang What Child Is This to the beautiful accompaniment of Sister Babb (love her!) I got to see my mom (trainer) again at lunch and just had a marvelous time playing around with the other missionaries and reflecting on the plethora of emotions that were surrounding all of us as we dwelt immediate-familyless on this day.
Just as short as it began we were back on a train, preparing for more work. We had a dinner appointment we were running late to so there was little time to converse on the streets the joy of the season with those who were around. A gracious member of the ward provided a nice meal for my companion and I as well as for some other members who were stuck in the city, left without a home full of family to celebrate with. It was a lovely time!
I have to say that the day went by fast. It concluded with the anticipated phone calls home. I loved every moment of it and wished I could have savored it a bit longer. Oh well, maybe next year...
I would also love to thank all of those who thought of me this Christmas season. Your greetings were received with a heart full of thanks for including me in your life once again. Thank you for all that you do! I love you all! Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment