"Much of the major growth that is coming to the Church in the last days will come because many of the good women of the world (in whom there is often such an inner sense of spirituality) will be drawn to the Church in large numbers. This will happen to the degree that the women of the Church reflect righteousness and articulateness in their lives and to the degree that the women of the Church are seen as distinct and different--in happy ways--from the women of the world... Thus it will be that female exemplars of the Church will be a significant force in both the numerical and spiritual growth of the Church in the last days" President Spencer W. Kimball

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Thanksgiving...aka Give Thanks

The holidays are coming and it is so weird, there is not an ounce of knowledge of them in the missionary world except the fact that its getting cold out and the streets are starting to light up with holiday excitement. Attitudes are changing too for sure! You would think that everyone would start thinking of how much of a joy it is to be alive and able, and spread the holiday cheer, when in reality NO ONE is happy on the streets. I was sitting at Wendy's the other night next to these two women who could only speak about how they hated this time of year. As they continued on in their conversation they touched on money, crowded stores, gaining weight, stress and whiny children complaining about Christmas presents and not having a long enough break from school (not like I was listening, they were just talking really, really loud haha). Its so amazing to think of the holidays in this way, even though all of these thoughts do run through everyone's mind at one point or another, there was no Spirit about it at all.
Maybe its living in New York or even being away from the Spirit of home this year, but things just aren't the same. It just saddens me of all the commercialization that is going on concerning the holidays. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and I am so very thankful to be a missionary at this time, amidst all the craziness that is going on. And at a lesser scale I am so grateful to know what the true value of gratitude is. Even when you feel like you have it all written down or thought out about the things you are thankful for you realize that there is so much more to your list thank your commitment to count had bargained for. Upon beginning to count you'll find yourself in consideration for days, even weeks, and dumbfounded at all that you have been blessed with. I am so very thankful for everything that I have, know and feel. I am thankful for everyone I know, for my family, and friends. I am thankful for the opportunities that I have had in the past and present, "there's so much past inside my present" right Linds? I hope everyone remembers President Monson and the fabulous talk on Gratitude he gave this past conference. I was reading through the Ensign this last week and was reminded of the many blessings we have to be thankful for, it is truly an eye opener.
I also had the opportunity to speak this past Sunday in church. As I began to bare my testimony I was surprised at what the Spirit would have me say in regards to what I was in deed thankful for. It was more of a testimony to myself of all that I have experienced over the past few weeks than it was announcing all of my blessings to the congregation. I at that point realized I am so privileged to be where I am and do what I do. I only have 18 months and counting to do the Lords work...Im running out of time! I am so thankful for all of your support, love and prayers. Im thankful for all of those that I love and who love me. Im grateful that you all let me leave AGAIN, even though Im never home...Tony. I'm thankful for this opportunity to feel truly humbled by the lives and experiences of those here in New York. Im grateful for my calling as a missionary and for the opportunity to serve others everyday. I am thankful for the Gospel and the unconditional love of a Savior that willingly gave his life for mine and my faults. And mostly I am grateful for this knowledge: of all the blessings in my life, of all the negatives working as positives, of all the great things being even greater than I imagined and for the mind to see all of this as such.
The holiday season is here and I love it! If you fail the rest of the year to be thankful then let this be the time that you are especially brought to your knees in thanks.
Last couple of things, yesterday as we were in a cab coming back from transfers with my new companion (yeah I know!!!!), the taxi driver was so distraught. He recently submitted his daughter to the hospital for some unknown disorder. I was inspired by his courage and hope. As I explained that we were missionaries and would join him in his prayers to help his daughter, his heart was filled with gratitude for the consideration of a stranger. As people knowing the blessings from God, we have the opportunity to extend our faith to others. I dont know that there is any better way to share the Gospel than to just let others we come into contact with know that we care and can empathize with them in their situations.
And yes, my second cycle, 6 weeks in Im training a new companion in the city. Not an actual training position in the mission because she has been out for 7 months but she is new to the city so I get to show her the ropes, its sick! She's from Hawaii, Sister Fuimaono... I'll let you know how it goes, haha!
Love you love you all! Happy Thanksgiving :)

No comments:

Post a Comment