"Much of the major growth that is coming to the Church in the last days will come because many of the good women of the world (in whom there is often such an inner sense of spirituality) will be drawn to the Church in large numbers. This will happen to the degree that the women of the Church reflect righteousness and articulateness in their lives and to the degree that the women of the Church are seen as distinct and different--in happy ways--from the women of the world... Thus it will be that female exemplars of the Church will be a significant force in both the numerical and spiritual growth of the Church in the last days" President Spencer W. Kimball

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Give my regards to Broadway!



Hello everyone! First off, all I have to say is "hide your kids, hide your wives and hide your husbands because Im breaking all kinds of social rules on the subway up in here!" Ok, let me explain a few things about New York that I know and have come to know but dont really care to follow. Number A, what is this business about NOT talking to ANYONE on the subway, on buses, or on the street, etc.??!? Number B, dont look at anyone, EVER and C be as short as possible, WhAT!!?? Im super over it. If someone's hair looks cute you know Im gonna tell them about it and then follow that with a "PS, Im a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, is there a time we can meet up with you this week? Have a passalong card...es gratis." Those who know me know that Im not kidding about one word that I just said.
Anyways, everyone always makes people in New York out to be so mean, which I have experienced that but whatevs, again "Have a passalong card." But they really aren't that bad. They just don't care about what you have to say unless its applicable to them which quite frankly that's the best thing ever because then you aren't wasting your time when someone really isn't interested. Not saying that no one is worth the time, but what I am saying is that for them right then might not be the time and Im not even mad. Example: My companion and I were contacting in uptown Inwood until super late. We had zero success as to why we went up there and no one gave us the time, but the desire was there to find someone. After having no luck we get on the subway and head home. As I sit down this young man (perfect because we're the missionaries in the YSA ward) sits down in front of me and breaks out, guess what???? A King James Version of the Bible, booyah! Now of course that had to be a little drop from heaven saying "Im not gonna send you home empty handed." This guy, turns out, has spent his days at the tender age of 23 reading the Bible day in and day out. As I approached him about whether he attends churh he responded with there are too many to choose from, none of which teach the correct Doctrine of Christ. He then learned I was Mormon and was shocked because I was black (he is Dominican), a missionary and that we read the same bible and believe in Jesus Christ. That just goes to show what shinanigans are going around about the Church. Lastly he began to tell me things he had learned in the Bible regarding the Spirit, apostles and prophets, the gift of tounges and the need to endure to the end...so then I hit him with Mosiah 2-3, King Benjamin's address, haha! I love this Gospel and that just goes to show the Lord has a people who are prepared to receive His true Doctrine.
I love it, love it. I love NY... maybe the whole town is in mourning because of the Yankees but hey go Angels right?! (Actually I have no idea how they are doing, someone hit me back with that, jk kinda) Anyways, PDay is coming to a close. You know I love each and everyone of you...especially YOU (imagine yourself). PS Im dying from a gluten OD, I cant find gluten free food that is quick and easy to take with me, wink wink! Dont feel obligated but know its much appreciated :) Loves!

2 comments:

  1. Sista Ash!! I don't know if you can check these or what but I really want to talk to you. I have a beautiful baby girl that I need to show you pics of.. I'm going to print them out just for you (Auntie Ash :) I hope you're doing well. It sounds like you were def meant to be in NYC! You are an amazing missionary- I have no doubt. Love love LOVE you. WRITE ME BACK WHEN YOU GET MY LETTER

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was Me (chels) not Nick. haha. although he sends his love too :0

    ReplyDelete